October 31st, 2023
The Waterloo Region District School Board (WRDSB) is committed to transforming the education system so that identity and social location no longer predict outcomes for students.
The 2022-2023 school year was the first year of implementation of the Board Improvement and Equity Plan (BIEP). The BIEP is what supports the implementation and achievement of the Strategic Plan. We have summarized our performance indicators and reflected on the outcomes of the strategies and actions we put in place.
BIEP Areas of Focus
The BIEP is one of the ways WRDSB reviews its progress and the outcomes of implementing specific strategies to support student achievement and well-being. The four areas of the BIEP are:
- Every student will succeed academically.
- Sovereignty, human rights and equity:
- Every student and staff member has equitable opportunities in an environment free from discrimination.
- Mental health, well-being and engagement:
- Every student and staff member will learn and work in environments that engage them and support their mental health and well-being.
- Pathways and transitions:
- Every student is prepared for the next step in their elementary and secondary education and their postsecondary pathway.
Updates on Outcomes from the 2022-23 Plan
In the first year of the implementation of the Board Improvement and Equity Plan:
- We are focusing on student achievement, particularly in the areas of literacy and numeracy.
- We are engaging with students, staff, parents, caregivers and the community to build capacity to:
- Promote equitable and inclusive learning opportunities and
- Foster a culture of sovereignty, human rights and equity
- We continue to use survey results to inform decision-making and support student and staff mental health and well-being. These surveys include:
- Safe, Caring and Inclusive School survey
- Guarding Minds at Work survey
- We prepare students to be future-ready
- We provide innovative learning opportunities with real-world applications.
WRDSB continues to support student achievement and well-being in partnership with:
- Parents, caregivers and families
- Community members
Learn more about the 2022-2023 WRDSB Board Improvement and Equity Plan.